Week 4, Day 2 – Chris McHugh

We survived the thunderous, lightning filled night that caused Dr. Ward to float in her tent. Then we began the day by breaking into our

Heavy clay lies under the sandy soil below the ridge where our main excavation area has been.

new excavation teams and getting the water off our units.

We worked hard throughout the morning to get our units complete and open two more before we run out of time because this is our last week here at the refuge We had a few different interesting artifacts that were discovered this morning and in the afternoon. There was a broken doll’s arm, a shard of pottery with a painted bluebird on it, also two buttons

A transfer print bluebird on a potsherd will help us date this soil layer.

that had similar patterns. We broke for a quick lunch around noon and had some delicious sandwiches and pickles!

After our tummies were stuffed we headed back out to start on our new units that happen to be located in a field of poison ivy which I thought was just awesome.

Poison ivy carpets the ground in and around our excavation units.

However after excavating only a few centimeters down Andrew and I came upon what might be a large plank of wood, which is rare to find because wood deteriorates over time. We brushed it off and pedestaled it so we could have Julie photograph it to have a record of what it looked like before we try and take it out which will most likely will break it because it is so fragile.

That took us to around the end of the slotted time we had for excavating, so after a few snapshots of the wood we headed off to the lab to work on recording and drawing our artifacts that have been piling up since we got here.

An extremely degraded wood plank lay just a few centimeters under the surface.

Meghan had to go down by the dock and water sift through one of the units back dirt with small screening because it had been turning up small beads that might have fallen through our ¼” screens. Out of the four buckets she and Dr. Ward waterscreened, she and Dr. Ward found one small red bead and a few nails, which are actual worth the painstaking work of sifting through all those buckets by hand.

Hopefully when we get back to the lab at Coastal next week we can piece together the artifacts that we found and shed some light on what our site might have been those many years ago.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 2010 Field School and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s